Stuart specialises in international commercial litigation and arbitration. As an advocate, he has argued at all levels of the English judicial system, including before the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom. In arbitration, he has advised and acted in disputes seated in various jurisdictions, and has experience of cases under the ICC, UNCITRAL, LCIA, LMAA, CIARB, SIAC and CIETAC rules.
Stuart has a particular interest in arbitrations with a connection to:
- The Caribbean (where he is called to the bar of the British Virgin Islands, and has acted in disputes connected with the BVI, Nevis, the Cayman Islands, the Bahamas and Trinidad and Tobago);
- Africa (where he has acted in disputes connected with Nigeria, Zimbabwe, Zambia and Egypt); and
- The Middle East (where he has acted in disputes connected with Dubai, Kuwait, Qatar, Sharjah, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and Iran).
Stuart has substantial experience, in litigation and arbitration, with a key focus in energy and natural resources. His cases have spanned issues of force majeure relating to interruptions in supply under long-term gas sale contracts, gas pricing, production sharing agreements, and litigation arising out of catastrophic oil spills. Energy disputes in which Stuart is involved typically involve difficult technical issues of expert evidence, including in relation to the extraction, marketing and behaviour of hydrocarbons or other natural resources.
Stuart also appeared as counsel in the leading English case on challenges to arbitration awards for serious irregularity under section 68 of the Arbitration Act 1996, Therapy Beach Club Incorporated v RAV Bahamas Limited & Bimini Resort Management Limited  1 A.C. 221.
As Counsel, he is recognised as “a rising star in chambers” who is recognised as a Leading Junior for Civil Fraud and Energy Disputes, and a Rising Star for Commercial Litigation. He is recommended for:
- his intellect (“exceptionally bright”; “bright and on top of all the factual detail as well as intricate legal points”; “sharp”; “an ability to marshal large amounts of detail very quickly and effectively”; “Stuart is extremely bright. He is very thorough and gets to the heart of the issues”);
- his work ethic (“always goes the extra mile”; “hardworking”; “a great work ethic”; “He is highly accessible, extremely responsive and very hard-working”);
- his manner with clients and colleagues (“gets in the trenches with you”; “very user friendly”; “he’s a very good team player and a pleasure to work with”); and
- his written and oral advocacy (“An excellent and highly persuasive advocate”; “the quality of his written documents is excellent”; “Thorough and faultless written work with a nice style. A confident and calm advocate who is very well prepared and who gets the judge on side”; “very thorough and is a confident advocate. Has the answers at his fingertips”).