Angeline Welsh is a well-known and highly regarded arbitration expert having specialised in this field for well over a decade; described as “One of the leading arbitration focused juniors at the Bar” and “She is excellent on matters related to arbitration…”. Angeline is recognised as a Global Leader for Arbitration by Who’s Who Legal, having been recommended for some time as both a Thought Leader and Leading Junior at the English Bar for arbitration. In 2021 she was named by Chambers as International Arbitration Junior of the Year, and was previously named by Legal Week as a ‘Star at the Bar’ in recognition of her “excellent judgement and leadership qualities” and not being frightened to tackle novel and difficult areas of law, or “to deal head-on with the more complicated aspects of a case”.
Prior to moving to the English Bar at the end of 2015, Angeline was Counsel and Solicitor Advocate in the International Arbitration Group of a major international law firm, spending more than a decade in their London office, some of which was spent on secondment to the Hong Kong office and the LCIA Secretariat. She has worked with counsel in a wide range of jurisdictions including India, Myanmar, Indonesia, Belize, Hong Kong, Turks & Caicos Islands, Singapore, United States, Kazakhstan, Rwanda and various European states and on arbitrations (both commercial and investment treaty) under a broad range of institutional rules (ICSID, LCIA, ICC, HKIAC, UNCITRAL) and on an ad hoc basis. She is also admitted to the bars of Belize and the British Virgin Islands.
Angeline is currently Vice Chair of the IBA Arbitration Committee and serves on the ICC UK Selections Subcommittee. She regularly speaks and writes on the subject to arbitration law and procedure and is currently editing the 25th Ed of Russell on Arbitration, the leading textbook on English arbitration law.
Angeline actively accepts arbitral appointments. Since 2016, she has been appointed in over 20 arbitrations as sole, co-arbitrator or presiding arbitrator.
- Presiding arbitrator in an ICC dispute relating to breach of obligations for service and security under a hotel management agreement.
- Sole arbitrator in an LCIA dispute arising out of a post-completion obligation to make payment to a third party.
- Co-arbitrator in an SCC dispute relating to a call option to acquire equity shares.
- Presiding arbitrator in ICC purchase order dispute relating to a construction project in Oman.
- Presiding arbitrator in multi-layer LCIA arbitration where the claimant brought claims for outstanding liability to the respondent under four cargo contracts for the delivery of Mosgas.
- Co-arbitrator in an ICC in relation to a post-acquisition dispute under a quota transfer agreement between the Claimant, as purchaser and the Respondents, as sellers regarding the acquisition of Hungarian Pharmaceutical company.
- Co-arbitrator in an LCIA breach of obligation dispute arising out of a distribution agreement for marine propulsion systems.
- Sole arbitrator in an ICC construction dispute arising out of a FIDICClient/Consultant Model Services Agreement General Conditions (2006) in relation to the engineering services provided for the construction of a geothermal power plant.
- Sole arbitrator in an ad hoc arbitration concerning the non-payment of fees for the provision of orchestral services.
- Sole arbitrator in an LCIA arbitration concerning the alleged breach of sale and purchase agreement for the sale and shipping of clinker which raised issues concerning the rate of demurrage and commencement of laytime.
- Presiding arbitrator in an LCIA arbitration concerning five related loan agreements raising money laundering issues.
- Co-arbitrator in an LCIA arbitration concerning claim for payment under a guarantee and indemnity, issues arising in connection with related insolvency proceedings and court obtained freezing injunctions.
- Sole arbitrator in first BVI IAC administered arbitration concerning adispute arising out of an agreement for the supply of imported coal and fuel.
- Sole arbitrator in an LCIA arbitration concerning alleged breach of licensing agreement for technology used in the construction of a steel plant.
- Presiding arbitrator in an LCIA arbitration concerning claim under a deed of guarantee.
- Co-arbitrator in an LCIA arbitration relating to the alleged misuse of confidential information obtained in the course of employment.
- Sole arbitrator in an ICC dispute relating to a dispute arising out of a manufacturing agreement and related loan agreement under the laws of the State of California.
- Co-arbitrator in an LCIA arbitration relating to debt claim under a facility agreement.
- Co-arbitrator in an LCIA arbitration concerning a dispute arising out of a consultancy agreement concerning a project in the Middle East.
- Sole arbitrator in an ICC arbitration concerning a claim under a consultant agreement for unpaid commission payments and a defence based on alleged regulatory compliance concerns.
- Co-arbitrator in an LCIA arbitration in a debt claim under a loan agreement.
- Sole arbitrator in an LCIA arbitration concerning claims under consultancy agreements related to joint venture arrangements and counterclaims for breach of contract and in the tort of lawful and unlawful conspiracy.
- Sole arbitrator in an ICC arbitration concerning contracts for the provision of construction services and the supply of equipment related to a solar power project in the Middle East.
- Tribunal appointed expert on issues of English law on privilege in an arbitration conducted under the Swiss Rules of International Arbitration.
- HKIAC List of Arbitrators
- IBA Arbitration Committee (website officer)
- LCIA European Users’ Council
- LCIA Young International Arbitration Group
- ICC Young Arbitrators Forum
- ICDR Young & International
- Matrix Chambers, Barrister, 2015 to 2020
- Allen & Overy LLP, Trainee, Associate, Senior Associate, Counsel 2003 to 2015
- BA (Hons), Modern History, Queen’s College, Oxford University, 1999
- Graduate Diploma in Law, University of Law, 2000
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, University of Law, 2001
- Solicitor Advocate – Higher Rights of Audience, 2008
- Called to the English Bar, 2015
- Called to the Belize Bar, 2015
- Called to the British Virgin Islands, 2020
- Chambers and Partners, International Arbitration Junior of the Year, 2021
- Legal Week, “Star at the Bar”, 2017
- Advised on the 2016 Myanmar Arbitration Act that led to Myanmar being awarded the 2016 GAR Award for jurisdiction that has made great progress
- AES Ust-Kamenogorsk v UST-Kamenogorsk JSC, which established the right of an English court to grant an antisuit injunction before arbitration proceedings had been commenced named in the FT Innovative Lawyers Report 2014 as a “stand-out” entry
- Work on the Jivraj v Hashwani Supreme Court intervention named in the FT Innovative Lawyers Report 2012 as highly commended
- Work on protecting clients from Belize’s anti-arbitration legislation named in the FT Innovative Lawyers Report 2011 as a “stand-out” entry
- Named as ‘runner up’ in the Assistant Solicitor of the Year category by The Lawyer 2011
- Inaugural annual IBA Pro Bono and Access to Justice Award 2010.
- “An English Freezing Injunction – A Nuclear Weapon That Requires Careful Handling, The Journal of Enforcement of Arbitration Awards”, Vol. 2, 2019, No 1;
- “The “Public Policy” Exception under the New York Convention: The English Law Approach to Allegations of Illegality and Lessons to be Drawn for Conflicts with International Law Obligations”, American Review of International Arbitration, Vol. 30, 2019, No. 2;
- Contributing author: The ICSID Convention, Rules and Regulations: A Practical Commentary (Elgar Publishing, 2019);
- IBA Arb40, Editor for “Compendium of Arbitration Practice”, October 2017;
- The Review of the Americas 2017, Global Arbitration Review: Enforcement of Foreign Arbitral Awards in Central America and the Caribbean, co-author with Luis Gonzalez Garcia;
- Contributor to the 24th edition of Russell on Arbitration, 2015;
- IBA Arb 40, Editor for Report on “The Current State and Future of International Arbitration: Regional Perspectives”, August 2015;
- Kluwer blog: “The relationship between arbitrators and parties: is the pure status theory dead and buried?” 17 June 2011 (co-author with Matt Gearing);
- The World Arbitration and Mediation Review, ITA: “The law applicable to the award of interest: A roadmap through the maze” 2011, Volume 5, No. 1;
- Kluwer blog: “The Public Policy Exception – Is the Unruly Horse Being Tamed in the Most Unlikely of Places?”, 17 March 2011 (co-author with Matt Gearing);
- Global Arbitration Review, (Vol. 5 Iss. 5): “UK: Jivraj v Hashwani – the interplay between arbitration and antidiscrimination legislation”, 27 October 2010 (co- author with Mark Mansell).