Mr David Jackson AM KC
David Jackson has appeared in hundreds of matters in the High Court of Australia, in both its original and appellate jurisdiction, and in numerous matters in federal, state and territory intermediate appellate courts in Australia. He has appeared in the appeal courts of Vanuatu, Fiji, Solomon Islands, Tonga and New Zealand. Prior to the abolition of Australian appeals to the Privy Council in 1986, he appeared in such appeals on four occasions (one as a junior, three as a silk).
He has acted as an arbitrator, expert determiner or mediator in Australia and overseas in relation to a wide range of disputes.
Principal areas of practice
Awards and professional recognition
- Ross Anderson Memorial Prize 1962 (University of Queensland);
- Henderson Prize 1964 (University of Queensland);
- Wilkinson Prize 1964 (University of Queensland);
- Virgil Power Prize 1964 (University of Queensland);
- Judge, Federal Court of Australia 1985-1987;
- Fellow Chartered Institute of Arbitrators 2003;
- Fellow Australian Centre for International and Commercial Arbitration 2011;
- Fellow Australian Academy of Law 2013;
- Member of the Order of Australia 2007;
- Sir Harry Gibbs Oration 2010;
- Sir Maurice Byers Lecturer 2006;
- Member of Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre Panel of Arbitrators;
- Member Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration Panel of Arbitrators;
- Best Lawyers 2014. Listed for: Bet the Company Litigation, Constitutional Law, Alternative Dispute Resolution and Litigation;
- Chambers Global and Chambers Asia-Pacific 2014 and 2015 Dispute Resolution Australia – Star individuals.
- Member of Committee of Bar Association of Queensland 1969-70, 1972-1974, 1976-1978, 1979-1980, 1981-1983;
- Vice-President Bar Association of Queensland 1982-1983;
- Member Barristers Board of Queensland – 1975-1985;
- Chairman, Constitutional Law Committee of Law Council of Australia – 1984-1985;
- Law Council of Australia Observer at Australian Constitutional Conventions – 1984, 1985;
- Chairman of New South Wales Bar Association’s Standards and Specialisation Committee 1994-1995;
- Convenor of New South Wales Bar Association’s Constitutional Law Section 1996 to 2001;
- Foundation lecturer at Bar Practice Centre in Brisbane (“Leading Evidence”);
- Member (part-time) Judicial Commission of New South Wales 1995 – 1998;
- Committee Member Australian Association of Constitutional Law 1999-2003;
- Head of Chambers, Seven Wentworth 2002-2014.
He has acted as an arbitrator in a number of domestic and international arbitrations in relation to a wide range of disputes, including:
- fixing the rent for leasing government owned waterfronts;
- determining the wholesale price for supply of gas from producers to energy companies and to industrial users;
- determining the amounts payable by one Australian government for the use by its residents of the hospital services of another Australian government under an intergovernmental agreement;
- resolving major disputes between contractor and principal in relation to the installation of a new telecommunications network;
- resolving disputes concerning the supply of coal from Australia to other countries;
- resolving insurance disputes, including disputes about reinsurance;
- determining the final amount payable under a major development agreement between land owner and developer.