Paul Stanley QC
Paul Stanley QC regularly accepts appointments as an arbitrator and has been sitting since 2003. Paul has experience as Chair, Sole Arbitrator as well as party-appointed under all institutional rules and in ad-hoc arbitrations.
Paul’s Barrister practice spans a wide range of commercial disputes. He has a particular interest and experience in financial services (including regulatory work), both at the regulatory level and before the Upper Tribunal and on appeal. He often deals with insurance and reinsurance claims, particularly high value pharmaceutical and products-liability claims, including many arbitrations raising a full range of issues concerning the validity and application of insurance and reinsurance contracts, especially (but not only) the Bermuda Form. He also has a particular interest in complex civil fraud cases, for both claimants and defendants, including obtaining and enforcing interim remedies, applications to commit for contempt, and jurisdictional issues, both in England and offshore. He appears in both courts and before arbitral tribunals at all levels. He has extensive experience of appellate advocacy in the Court of Appeal.
What Others Say
“An excellent advocate and strategist.”
Legal 500 UK Bar 2016 – Commercial Litigation & International Arbitration
“He has the ear of the court and is very good in the way he presents his submissions – he’s very crisp, very concise and very persuasive.” “He is bright, responsive and great to work with.”
Chambers UK Bar 2016 – Commercial Dispute Resolution
“He just has such a sharp mind; he gets straight to the point and has a laser-like focus.”
Chambers UK Bar 2016 – Insurance
“His particular skill is his wealth of experience: we had several gaps in our knowledge that he was able to plug.” “A very bright guy who’s willing to consider all the arguments in difficult cases.”
Chambers UK 2015 – Fraud: Civil
“A towering intellect and someone who is destined for great things,” who is known for the depth of his expertise.
Chambers UK 2015 – Insurance
“Clients like his style of advocacy and his incisiveness.” “A very bright guy who’s willing to consider all the arguments in difficult cases.”
Chambers UK 2015 – Commercial Dispute Resolution
Legal 500 2014 – International Arbitration: Counsel
“Highly rated for general commercial and insurance disputes.”
Legal 500 2014 – Commercial litigation
“An outstanding narrative advocate” with a “first-rate intellect.” Instructing solicitors say: “His attention to detail, commitment and high intelligence shine through very clearly,”
Chambers Global 2013 UK – dispute resolution: commercial
Arbitration and Related Court Applications
Paul has extensive experience of representing clients in ad hoc and institutional arbitrations, including ICC and LCIA arbitrations, covering a wide range of commercial disputes, including insurance and reinsurance and shareholder disputes. Cases include in particular disputes arising out of pharmaceutical products liability.
Recent arbitrations include:
- A related set of arbitrations concerning recovery under a bespoke liability policy covering US risks, for a major pharmaceutical company.
- Bermuda Form arbitrations for a products manufacturer arising out of consumer healthcare products.
- Bermuda Form arbitrations for various manufacturers arising out of historic environmental pollution claims.
- Several Bermuda Form arbitrations for a major pharmaceutical company arising out of the settlement of a mass tort claim.
- Bermuda Form arbitration for a medical devices manufacturer arising out of a mass tort claim.
- LCIA arbitration for investors arising out of the insolvency of a Russian enterprise.
- LCIA arbitration for venture capital vehicle arising out of shareholder dispute in Russia.
- LCIA arbitration for investor arising out of shareholder dispute in Russia and Cyprus.
- LCIA arbitration for investor arising out of shareholder dispute in Russia.
- Kruppa v Benedetti  EWHC 1887 (Comm),  2 Lloyd’s Rep 421
- A v B  EWHC 2345 (Comm),  2 Lloyd’s Rep 592
- SAB Miller v East African Breweries  EWCA Civ 1564,  2 Lloyd’s Rep 422
- Loon Energy Inc v Integra Mining (B) Sdn Bhd  EWHC 1876 (Comm)
- Weissfisch v Julius  1 Lloyd’s Rep 716 (CA)
- XL Insurance Co Ltd v Owens-Corning  1 All ER (Comm) 530
- Case C-126/97 Eco Swiss  ECR I-3055; Associated Electric and Gas Services v European Reinsurance Co of Zurich  UKPC 11,  1 WLR 1041
2015: Middle Temple (Bencher)
2011: Called to Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court
2010: Took Silk
1993: BVC (Inns of Court School of Law), called to the Bar (Middle Temple)
1992: LLM, Harvard Law School
1991: BA (Law) (First Class), Cambridge University, Downing College
Queen Mother’s Scholar (Middle Temple)
Kennedy Memorial Scholar